Do you want to serve a fun dinner that everyone will love? Mix up a colorful creation by combining different Italian and Latin dishes! How? Serve chili over pasta.
Check out our picture above. That's our go-to turkey chili recipe (all white meat, no skin) served over black squid ink spaghetti. We served this dinner to a group of teenagers and, needless to say, it disappeared quickly. This crowd-pleasing recipe is sure to be a winner!
Turkey Chili over Pasta
8 ounces spaghetti - use your choice of whole wheat, tomato, squid ink, spinach, or plain noodles
1 tsp each: ground cumin, ancho chili powder (or just plain chili powder) and dried oregano
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 carrot, diced
1/2 pound ground turkey breast (white meat, no skin)
1 can (14 oz) no-salt-added kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14 oz) no-salt-added chopped tomatoes, with juice
1 can (8 oz) no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 cup chicken broth
- Heat a nonstick skillet or wok (our favorite) over medium-high heat.
- Lightly toast the cumin, chili powder and oregano in the pan and then quickly add the oil, onions, and garlic. Saute until transparent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook briefly.
- Add the turkey and stir well.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and broth. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender and the turkey is done.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain in a colander and serve with the chili. Fun serving idea: cook a few different shapes of pasta and let everyone plate their own chili creation.