Become a premium member today and get access to hundreds of articles and handouts plus our premium tools!
Here are 10 easy ways to lower calories, fat, saturated fat and sodium from baking recipes:
- Use applesauce in place of half or more of the fat in baked goods like muffins and quick breads. Use tub margarine in place of butter or stick margarine.
- Eliminate salt.
- Substitute 1/4 cup egg whites or nonfat egg substitute for each whole egg.
- Use white whole wheat flour in place of all-purpose flour. Find this product in whole-foods markets. It adds the fiber and nutrients from the whole-grain.
- Use a light sugar for baking such as Sugar Lite or Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking to help lower calories.
- Use skim milk or evaporated skim milk in place of whole milk.
- Use just one pie crust on the top.
- Eliminate frosting or use sparingly on a frozen cake.
- Bake smaller batches.
- Cut smaller pieces and make smaller cookies.
UP NEXT IN Food and Health