Here are 10 easy ways to lower calories, fat, saturated fat and sodium from baking recipes:
- Use applesauce in place of half or more of the fat in baked goods like muffins and quick breads. Use tub margarine in place of butter or stick margarine.
- Eliminate salt.
- Substitute 1/4 cup egg whites or nonfat egg substitute for each whole egg.
- Use white whole wheat flour in place of all-purpose flour. Find this product in whole-foods markets. It adds the fiber and nutrients from the whole-grain.
- Use a light sugar for baking such as Sugar Lite or Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking to help lower calories.
- Use skim milk or evaporated skim milk in place of whole milk.
- Use just one pie crust on the top.
- Eliminate frosting or use sparingly on a frozen cake.
- Bake smaller batches.
- Cut smaller pieces and make smaller cookies.
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.