SuperTracker is a great health and wellness tool from the USDA. With the slogan "My foods. My fitness. My health." this resource is surprisingly versatile, with a wide variety of uses. In fact, you can rely on it for any of the following activities...
- Creating a personalized nutrition plan
- Tracking the foods you eat
- Looking up nutrition information for a wide range of foods
- Tracking your weight
- Identifying and setting health goals
- Creating a personalized physical activity plan
- Tracking the activities you do
- Using a virtual coach
- Keeping a journal about your road to health
What a list! SuperTracker is a comprehensive tool that is perfect for any of your clients who are looking to improve their eating habits and lifestyles.
Let's take a closer look at the tools that this site provides. Here's a rundown of SuperTracker's most featured resources.
- Food-A-Pedia: It's easy to look up nutrition information for over 8,000 foods with the Food-A-Pedia section of SuperTracker. It even lets you compare foods side-by-side!
- Food Tracker: This resource can be personalized. Use it to track the food you eat. Are you hitting your nutrition targets?
- My Weight Manager: With this section of SuperTracker, you will find great weight management guidance. You can also enter your weight and use My Weight Manager to track your progress!
- My Top 5 Goals: Want to set goals and see how close you are to achieving them? With this tool, you can choose up to 5 personal goals and then sign up for tips and support from a virtual coach. How neat is that?
- MyJournal: Log your progress with this lovely section of SuperTracker!
- Groups: SuperTracker groups allow groups of people to use SuperTracker together. (This one is so loaded with great resources that we're going to write a follow-up blog that shines a spotlight on this amazing resource. Stay tuned!)
That's a lot of information, and the sheer number of helpful materials can be overwhelming if you don't start with a plan. I would recommend visiting https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/myplan.aspx and clicking on the link that says "Get Started." This will help you determine what and how much you should eat. Then you can create a profile to personalize your experience. SuperTracker will use the data to tailor a plan just for you, or you can start with a generalized plan.
Anyway, there you have it -- a closer look at a wonderful health resource. How will you use it to help your clients?
Oh! And here's a free PDF handout with tips about navigating SuperTracker...
And finally, here are a few more health and wellness resources from the Nutrition Education Store...
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.