I am having so much fun coming up with new free printable nutrition education materials. Today I want to focus on My Plate. Here's a brand-new MyPlate handout that I've created, just for you!
MyPlate and Health
A balanced eating pattern can be great for your wellbeing!
MyPlate’s suggestions are key to building a balanced eating pattern, and the reward is improved health. According to MyPlate, “Eating a diet rich in vegetables and fruits as part of an overall healthy diet may reduce risk for heart disease, including heart attack and stroke [and] may protect against certain types of cancers.”
That’s quite an impact, and it’s not all that MyPlate offers!
By including whole grains on your plate, you can reduce your risk of constipation while improving weight management. Choosing a variety of protein foods is excellent for your heart, especially when they’re low in saturated fat. Plus, MyPlate asserts that “Intake of dairy products is linked to improved bone health, and may reduce the risk of osteoporosis.”
Tips to Keep Your Meals Healthy:
For healthy meals, follow these tips…
- Stay low in saturated fat. MyPlate asserts, “Diets high in saturated fats raise ‘bad’ cholesterol levels in the blood. The ‘bad’ cholesterol […], in turn, increases the risk for coronary heart disease.”
- Choose variety whenever you can. Eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, and protein foods will be especially beneficial in terms of your health.
- Make at least half the grains you eat whole grains, every day.
- Skip sources of empty calories like added sugars and focus on nutrient-dense foods instead.
If you like what you see, get the printable handout for free! MyPlate and Health is perfect for presentations, email blasts, health fairs, and more!
And here are a few more posts with free MyPlate materials!
- Make a MyPlate Meal
- MyPlate Quizzes: Vegetables and Fruit
- Make MyPlate: A Guide
- MyPlate Meal Makeover
- MyPlate Shopping Guide
Let's finish this post with a roundup of the top My Plate resources from the Nutrition Education Store...