This filing soup is so tasty that no one will realize that it is low in calories and high in fiber.
- Olive oil cooking spray or 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils
- 4 cups of low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Hot pepper sauce to taste (just a couple of dashes)
- Garlic seasoning to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
Sauté the onion, carrots, and red pepper with the olive oil in a large dutch oven pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the lentils, broth, and seasonings (including the tomato paste). Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add the spinach leaves, then serve hot.
Serves 6. Each 1 cup of soup serving: 168 calories, 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 12g fiber, 4g sugars, 12g protein.
PDF Handout: Lentil Soup