Here's all of my favorite holiday recipes, all ready to build a balanced plate for Thanksgiving.
Serves: 1 | Serving Size: 1 plate
- 1 turkey breast (5 to 5 and 1/2 lbs)
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 stalks celery, cut in half
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of each of the following: lemon pepper seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 browning bag
- Remove and discard the skin from the turkey breast. Rinse the breast and pat it dry with a paper towel. Place the onion and celery into the breast cavity. Spray it all over with cooking spray.
- Combine the lemon-pepper seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, and paprika in a bowl, then sprinkle over the turkey breast.
- Place in a browning bag that has been prepared according to package directions, then put the bag in a shallow baking pan and put it into the oven to bake at 325° F for 1 hour, or until the meat thermometer registers 170° F.
- Transfer the breast to a serving platter and let it stand for 15 minutes before carving it into thin slices. Reserve the rest for later use.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small tart red apple, cored & chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil and sauté the onions and mushrooms until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, cover and bake in the oven until rice has absorbed the liquid, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to stand for about 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
Cranberry Green Beans
- 16 ounces frozen green beans
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place green beans in a medium casserole dish and microwave on high until heated through and tender, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Cook the cranberries and walnuts briefly until the cranberries are tender.
- Toss in the green beans and honey. Serve hot.
Creamy Cream-Free Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled
- 1/4 to 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp trans-free margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Cut potatoes into chunks and place in a large pot.
- Cover them with water, bring to a boil, and cook until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Drain water and place pot back on the stove.
- Mash potatoes, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Reheat potatoes and serve hot.
MORE Holiday FREE Resources:
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.