Here's all of my favorite holiday recipes, all ready to build a balanced plate for Thanksgiving.
Serves: 1 | Serving Size: 1 plate
- 1 turkey breast (5 to 5 and 1/2 lbs)
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 stalks celery, cut in half
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of each of the following: lemon pepper seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 browning bag
- Remove and discard the skin from the turkey breast. Rinse the breast and pat it dry with a paper towel. Place the onion and celery into the breast cavity. Spray it all over with cooking spray.
- Combine the lemon-pepper seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, and paprika in a bowl, then sprinkle over the turkey breast.
- Place in a browning bag that has been prepared according to package directions, then put the bag in a shallow baking pan and put it into the oven to bake at 325° F for 1 hour, or until the meat thermometer registers 170° F.
- Transfer the breast to a serving platter and let it stand for 15 minutes before carving it into thin slices. Reserve the rest for later use.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small tart red apple, cored & chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil and sauté the onions and mushrooms until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, cover and bake in the oven until rice has absorbed the liquid, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to stand for about 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
Cranberry Green Beans
- 16 ounces frozen green beans
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place green beans in a medium casserole dish and microwave on high until heated through and tender, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Cook the cranberries and walnuts briefly until the cranberries are tender.
- Toss in the green beans and honey. Serve hot.
Creamy Cream-Free Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled
- 1/4 to 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp trans-free margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Cut potatoes into chunks and place in a large pot.
- Cover them with water, bring to a boil, and cook until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Drain water and place pot back on the stove.
- Mash potatoes, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Reheat potatoes and serve hot.
MORE Holiday FREE Resources:
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.