Valentine's Day doesn't have to be all about chocolate and candy... but what fun would it be without a little celebration? Here's a recipe for a delicious Valentine's Day dessert that tastes decadent but packs a great nutrient punch. For even more amazing fruit desserts, check out Fruit Tooth. It's a free eBook that you can download anytime.
In the meantime, here's your recipe...
Quick and Easy Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries
Serves: 24 | Serving Size: 1 chocolate-dipped strawberry
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup fat-free half and half
- 24 large strawberries, washed, dried, and refrigerated until chilled
- Line a sheet pan with waxed paper.
- Pour the fat-free half and half into a saucepan and bring it to a simmer. Add the chocolate chips. Remove the pan from the stove and whisk with a wire whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Grasp the stem of a strawberry and dip it into the melted chocolate, twisting as you lift it out. Allow the excess chocolate to drip back into the saucepan and then place the dipped strawberry on waxed paper.
- Repeat with the rest of the strawberries. Set the strawberries aside and allow the chocolate to harden for about 30 minutes.
- Serves 24. Each serving has 80 calories, 4 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 8 g sugar, and 1 g protein.
- Each serving also contains 0% DV vitamin A, 11% DV vitamin C, 1% DV calcium, and 0% DV iron.
- If you need that chocolate to firm up in a hurry, put the whole tray in the fridge.
- You can also melt the chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave. Heat the cream and chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring well between each one. This takes very little time, so watch closely, making sure that the chocolate doesn’t burn. If it does, throw it out and start again.
- Serving fresh fruit for dessert is a great way to increase your nutrient and fiber intake while decreasing the number of empty calories you consume.
This post was brought to you by the Nutrition Education Store. For more fun Valentine's Day ideas, check out the options below...
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.