Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 bowl
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey breast, no skin
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with ? juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/3 cup water
- Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onion briefly and add the ground turkey. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink; then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Serves 4. Each serving has 368 calories, 10 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 91 mg cholesterol, 123 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g sugars, and 52 g protein.
- Each serving also has 3% vitamin A, 11% vitamin C, 7% calcium and 16% iron.
- Choose lean ground turkey breast, then break it up well while it’s cooking so that the pieces stay small in the final dish.
- Serve this chili with pasta, rice, or a baked potato. Round out the meal with a large tossed salad.
Want to share this recipe? Here's a printable handout!
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.