Salad with Shaved Carrots and Beets
Serves: 2 | Serving Size: 2 and 1/4 cups
- 4 cups mixed spring greens, rinsed and dried
- 2 baby carrots, rinsed
- 2 baby beets, rinsed
- 2 tsp avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Flavored vinegar to taste
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Toss the greens with the avocado oil, then pile them high on a plate. Shave the carrots and beets on a mandolin or with a sharp knife. You can leave the skin on — just make sure you rinse them very well.
- Garnish with the flavored vinegar and avocado slices.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 2. Each serving has 123 calories, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 72 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 5 g dietary fiber, 6 g sugar, and 2 g protein.
- Each serving also has 187% DV vitamin A, 15% DV vitamin C, 4% DV calcium, and 5% DV iron.
- For the best results, spin the greens dry in a salad spinner.
- Lemon juice makes a great stand-in for flavored vinegar if you don’t have anything on hand.
- Avocado oil adds a nice mellow flavor to the salad.
- No mandolin? Shaky knife skills? Try shaving the vegetables with a sharp peeler instead.
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.