Added sugars can have a serious impact on health! Test your knowledge and improve your eating pattern with this speedy sugar quiz…
1. According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, no more than _____ of your daily calories should come from added sugars.
2. If most people eat 2,000 calories per day, then they should get fewer than _____ calories per day from added sugars.
3. Which of the following foods contains fewer than 25 grams of sugars?
A) A bottle of Vitamin Water
B) A chocolate brownie PowerBar
C) Mixed berry yogurt
D) A can of Coca Cola
4. True or false? Regular consumption of refined sugars can cause an imbalance in blood sugar, swings in energy levels, a decrease in immune function, and an increased risk of chronic disease.
5. Which of the following is a great way to reduce the sugar in your eating pattern?
A) Replace sugary drinks with water
B) Read Nutrition Facts labels and choose foods with less sugar
C) Replace candy with fresh fruit
D) All of the above
- A) 10%
According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, people should “Consume less than 10 percent of calories per day from added sugars.”
- A) 200
10% of 2000 calories per day is 200 calories from added sugars.
- C) Mixed berry yogurt
While yogurt is still surprisingly high in sugar, a container of Yoplait Mixed Berry Yogurt contains 18 grams of sugars, which is over 30% of the sugar you need in a day!
- A. True.
For more information, see https://goo.gl/piAaDY.
- D. All of the above
For another sugar resource, don't miss the member-exclusive Added Sugar Vocabulary Guide: Unpacking the Terms We Use to Discuss Sweeteners.
And here's a printable and downloadable handout version of this quiz!
Of course, there are lots of great sugar education resources in the store!