- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup Bibb lettuce
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 tsp shaved fresh mozzarella
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Balsamic glaze
- Optional: 2 breadsticks for garnish
- Place the lettuces in a large bowl. Top with lemon juice and olive oil and toss well.
- Arrange the dressed lettuce on a large dinner plate. Put the tomato slices and shaved mozzarella on top.
- Drizzle tomatoes with balsamic glaze and arrange breadsticks on the side.
- Serves 1. Each serving contains 69 calories, 3 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 6 g sugar, and 3 g protein.
- Each serving has 71% DV vitamin A, 66% DV vitamin C, 5% DV calcium, and 5% DV iron.
- No Bibb lettuce? Try Romaine instead! And make sure that both the lettuces are washed, dried, and ready to serve before you assemble the salad.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave the mozzarella into thin strips.
- Garnish the salad with an extra slice of lemon or lime.
- Be sure to pile the lettuce as high as you can when you put it on the plate. This will make it look airy and light.
- An ounce of Italian dressing is loaded with 150 calories, 17 grams of fat, and 450 milligrams of sodium. Lemon juice, on the other hand, weighs in at just 8 calories, 0 grams of fat, and 1 milligram of sodium per ounce. Plus, it’s full of flavor!
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.