Need some sweet tweets? Lisa Andrews, MEd, RD, LD shares a few about peaches.
Peaches. Nothing says “summer” like fresh peaches. Did you know that Georgia is officially known as “the peach state” in the US?
- Peaches come in two varieties: clingstone and free stone and originated in China.
- One peach contains just 59 calories!
- Peaches may have white or yellow flesh. White flesh peaches tend to be more expensive and are sweeter and less acidic than yellow.
- Saturn peaches have a flatter shape, similar to a donut, and they are easy to eat out of hand.
- Peaches are an excellent source of cancer-fighting beta-carotene and vitamin C as well as potassium and fiber.
- Peaches can be eaten alone as a snack, chopped and added to salads or cereal or cooked into delightful pies or cobblers.
- One large peach provides about 70 calories and 3 grams of dietary fiber.
- Buy your peaches in a variety of ripe states from ready to eat right now to a little less ripe. You will have some to eat now and some to eat later.
Here is a fun dessert or snack idea you can make with peaches, apricots, and berries. It is a fresh fruit tart. You do not even need a recipe! Assemble your fruit in a tart pan as shown in our photo. Top with a little bit of apricot or peach preserves and serve fresh. You do not need to fuss with a crust!
Check out our new peach poster: