These tweets about grapes by Lisa Andrews, MEd, RD, LD are perfect for fall!
- Grapes are one of the most popular fruits consumed and come in a variety of shapes, colors and flavors. There are white or green grapes, purple, red and black grapes.
- Grapes are botanically a berry and are grown in several parts of the world including California, Italy and the Middle East.
- Red grapes contain the cancer-fighting chemical called resveratrol. It has also been found to have anti-aging properties.
- A 1-cup serving of grapes contains just 62 calories, 176 mg of potassium and .8 grams of dietary fiber. A cup of candy would have around 750 calories!
- Grapes can be eaten solo or added to salads for taste and texture.
- Frozen grapes make a great, healthy snack or dessert.
Hi-Phy Fruit Salad
1 cup sliced canned peaches in juice
1 cup skinless red grapes, sliced in half
1 cup diced kiwi
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Mix all ingredients in medium-sized mixing bowl. Chill until ready to serve.
- Serve in individual dessert glasses.
Serves 4. Each 3/4 cup serving: 107 calories, 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 20g sugars, 1g protein.
Here is a handout you can download now that has a great message to try grapes! Try-Grapes
Here are more great resources for sugar education: