Become a premium member today and get access to hundreds of articles and handouts plus our premium tools!
Lisa Andrews, MEd, RD, LD is at it again with some great social media messages for figs:
- Figs date back 80 million years! There are over 750 known species of figs.
- A serving of 3 large, fresh figs has 140 calories and 5.5 grams of dietary fiber.
- Fresh figs contain about 25 calories per ounce whereas fig cookies contain about 110 calories per ounce.
- Almost 100% (98%) of the supply of figs in the US come from California.
- A 3 ½ oz. serving of dried figs gives you 162 mg of calcium, which is 16% of the Daily Value.
- Figs do best in hot, dry climates like the Mediterranean.
Kitchen hacks for figs:
- They are delicious when sliced in quarters and eaten fresh.
- They can be served on green salads and go particularly well in an arugula salad.
- They are delicious served with berries or any fresh fruit.
- You can use them to top plain yogurt.
- You can put them on pizza!
- Add them to grilled veggies for a delicious treat.
Here is a recipe for a Fig Apple Galette you can download and use as a handout now. Apple-Fig-Galette
UP NEXT IN Cooking, Food and Health