Yesterday a special friend came to dinner. Wanting to spend time visiting instead of cooking, I thought of this roasted dinner with plenty of vegetables, frozen chicken tenderloins that were already in the freezer, and potatoes, which are always on hand.
This roasted chicken dinner turned out really good! The roasted beets with the cranberry sauce were a nice touch and the chicken was very moist. I used frozen chicken tenderloins that went into the oven frozen. I found out that they take the same time to cook as potatoes, winter squash, beets, carrots, etc. so they are a great choice for another roasted dinner - where I throw everything in the oven for 45-60 minutes and have a wonderful meal with no attended cooking time when it is done. Here are the ingredients:
- 8 frozen chicken tenderloins (about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup mushrooms + 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 beets, unpeeled + a little water
- 1 bag cranberries + 1/2 cup sugar + 1/2 cup water
- 4 small baking potatoes (Yukon Gold), rinsed
- 1 pound broccoli
- 6 cups butter lettuce, arrugula + olive oil + lemon
- Turn oven on to 375F.
- Place frozen chicken tenderloins (or boneless skinless frozen chicken breasts) into a casserole dish and cover with foil. Place them in the oven.
- Place the potatoes on a rack in the oven.
- Place the beets in a casserole dish in the oven.
- Place the cranberries, sugar and water in a casserole or glass bowl and cover and place those in the oven.
- Prepare the broccoli and salad and refrigerate until ready to serve. Slice the mushrooms.
- Bake everything in the oven for 50-60 minutes. The chicken should be firm and white in the center. The potatoes and beets should be fork tender.
- When the roasted dinner is done you can microwave the broccoli and set the salad on the table.
- Cut the beets in quarters (you may need to microwave them for a few more minutes if they are not soft enough).
- Cut the potatoes in quarters.
- Saute the mushrooms in olive oil and pour over the chicken tenders.
- Serve as pictured above - the chicken is served with mushrooms on top, the potatoes are quartered and they stand on end. The cranberries top the beets. The broccoli is steamed at the last minute and served on the side.
This recipe serves about 4 people. Use 2 tenderloins per person.
Find more cooking instruction materials in our NutritionEducationStore.com