- 8 cups dark green salad mix, rinsed and dried
- 1 heirloom or beefsteak tomato, sliced
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 grated red beet
- 1 sliced golden beet
- 1 sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar glaze
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss gently.
- Serve, preferably family-style.
- Serves 8. Each serving contains 33 calories, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 3 g sugar, and 1 g protein.
- Each serving also has 113% DV vitamin A, 13% DV vitamin C, 2% DV calcium, and 5% DV iron.
- Experiment with fresh and dried herbs and grated cheeses to add more flavor and variety to your salad.
- Feel free to replace some of the vegetables in this ingredient list with the ones you have on hand. Play around with what’s fresh in your area. Make this salad your very own!
- If you slice beets thinly enough, then you don’t need to cook them before tossing them into a salad. I recommend using a mandolin to get everything super thin.
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.