Judy Doherty, PC II, AOS, BS
Goals and Objectives:
Upon completion of this course, the practitioner will be able to...
- Discuss the history of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, analyzing the rise and fall of various food trends and health advice.
- Understand the food elements and structures recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, along with the elements and structures that should be reduced/reformed.
- Explore the 5 central tenets of the latest edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, namely:
- Follow a healthy eating pattern throughout the lifespan.
- Focus on variety, nutrient density, and amount of food.
- Limit the calories consumed from added sugars and saturated fats while also reducing sodium intake.
- Shift to healthier food and drink choices.
- Support healthy eating patterns for everyone.
- Articulate the science behind the recommendations of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, especially as it relates to health and chronic disease.
- Discuss shifts in eating patterns that will bring about a healthier eating style.
- Understand the health impact associated with a variety of foods in each MyPlate food group as it relates to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Successfully navigate the USDA websites and appendices, knowing where to find more information and further educational resources about the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- 4 hour CPE course
- Includes a certificate you can download upon completion
- Features lifetime access to articles and certificates
- Read lessons, take quiz, get certificate, all at your leisure