Dr. James J. Kenney, PhD, RD, FACN
Course Goals and Objectives:
Upon completion of this course the student will be better able to:
- Describe what a ketogenic diet is.
- Explain why a ketogenic diet can produce faster initial weight loss than an isocaloric diet containing more than 100 g of carbohydrate.
- Explain why the Atkins' ketogenic diet is inappropriate for the treatment or prevention of atherosclerosis.
- Name at least 3 potential health risks associated with the long-term consumption of a ketogenic diet.
- Explain why serum cholesterol may fall initially when some individuals adopt a ketogenic diet and why this is usually only a temporary situation.
- Debunk the claim made by Atkins and other low-carbohydrate diet promoters that it is dietary carbohydrate that causes hyperinsulinemia and leads to insulin resistance.
- Explain why switching from a typical American diet to a diet more restricted in carbohydrates and higher in protein may help some people to lose more body weight.
- 16 hour CPE course
- Includes a certificate you can download upon completion
- Features lifetime access to articles and certificates
- Read lessons, take quiz, get certificate, all at your leisure
- Learning needs codes: 4040, 4030, 4020, 5370, 5090