We don’t really know what to expect in the New Year. Think back to January of last year and the goals or plans you had for 2020. So much has changed since then. One comment We’ve heard over and over during this past year is that next year will be better… looking forward to 2021. Your attitude as we go into this year can make a difference to your overall health.
We’re suggesting that, instead of making the regular list of resolutions this year, you can take it month by month.
This project, Positive Resolutions for 2021 offers topics for each month. We’ll help you with some ideas, suggestions, recipes, encouragement, and science-based support. All are positive ideas… nothing that makes you stop doing something and it's all based on topics that can improve your health, wellness, and overall well-being.
Let's take it in small steps.
Each month builds upon the previous month or months. At the beginning of each new month, set a measurable goal for yourself on the new topic while continuing the previous months’ activities, too. Reevaluate how you’re doing each month. At the end of the year, you’ll have twelve new habits and a more healthful lifestyle.
- Make it you. If you don’t like these monthly suggestions, substitute an achievable goal based on a positive change you’d like to make in your life.
- Each month you’ll need to decide what would be a good accomplishment for you. Are you going for a daily change, twice weekly, every other week, or one a month? That, too, is up to you. Look at where you are now and where you’d like to be at the end of the month and the end of the year. Be specific.
- Writing goals down makes them more real. Put them on your calendar at the beginning of each month -- either on your paper or electronic calendar. Or, set it as a reminder on your phone! It could be for every month, every week, or every day -- whichever works for you.
- Journaling or making notes on what you did also helps to make it a habit. There are phone apps that can help you do this.
Here’s our list of monthly Positive Resolutions for 2021...
- January - Foster Happiness
- February - Find a Path to Better Sleep
- March- Get Some Whole Grains
- April – Go for Fruit
- May- Add a Vegetable
- June -Eat a Plant
- July - Go Fishing
- August - Drink Up
- September - Cook at Home
- October - Add a Snack
- November - Food Memories
- December - Life’s too Short
By Cheryle Jones Syracuse, MS
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.