- If a food has 200 calories and 7 grams of protein, and each gram of protein is 4 calories, what percent of the serving comes from protein?
- If you have 10 ounces of meat, what percentage of the calories comes from fat if the meat is 90% lean?
- If a food contains 30% of the daily value (DV) for calcium per serving, would that food be considered an “excellent” source of calcium?
- You buy a bag of frozen vegetables at the store. This bag contains 12 ounces of vegetables. If you eat 2/3 of the bag, how many vegetable servings have you consumed?
Hint: MyPlate defines a vegetable serving as 4 ounces of cooked vegetables.
a) 1 serving
b) 2 servings
c) 3 servings
d) 4 servings
- How many calories did Sarah eat at the mall if she ate a box of candy (with 4 servings at 100 calories each), a container of Oreos with 50 calories per serving (the container has 10 servings total) and a bag of buttered popcorn that serves 4 (130 calories in each of the 4 servings)?
a) 280 calories
b) 560 calories
c) 1120 calories
d) 1420 calories
- b) 7 x 4 = 28/200 = .14 x 100 = 14%
- d) 90% lean = 1 oz. fat by weight, which is 28 grams/oz. x 9 calories = 252 calories from fat. The other 9 ounces are protein, which is 28 grams x 4 calories per gram = 1008 calories. 252/1008 = .252 x 100 = 25% fat
- a) Yes. A food containing 20% or more of the DV can be considered an “excellent” source.
- b) 12 oz x 2/3 (.66) = ~8 oz consumed, or approximately 2 servings
- d) (4 x 100) + (50 x 10) + (4 x 130) = 400 + 500 + 520 = 1420 calories
By Lisa Andrews, MEd, RD, LD
PDF Handout: Nutrition Word Problems Handout
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.