1. Fiber is found in foods that are made from _____. (Hint: begins with a p and grows in the garden.)
2. Red vegetable that you can use on salads or in pasta sauce.
3. Carrots, broccoli and sweet potatoes are a few of these. You should eat at least 2 cups a day, including dark green and orange.
4. Oranges, apples and bananas are examples of this and you should try to eat at least 2-1/2 cups per day.
5. These are also known as legumes and are very high in fiber. Black, pinto and kidney are a few examples.
6. This animal swims, and eating it two times per week is good for your heart.
7. Green leafy vegetable that is eaten in salads.
8. ____ grains have more fiber and nutrients than refined grains. You should eat 3 or more servings of these per day.
9. This fat is solid at room temperature and is bad for your heart.
10. Number of minutes per day you should exercise. (Hint: number of minutes in hour.)
11. Avoid these fats, found in fried food and processed food. They raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol.
Down: 1. plants, 2. tomato, 3. vegetables, 4. fruit, 5. beans, 6. fish.
Across: 7. lettuce, 8. whole, 9. saturatedfat, 10. sixty, 11. transfats.
National Nutrition Month is a registered trademark of the American Dietetic Association.
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.