Did you know that MyPlate has tons of resources for pregnant and breastfeeding moms? To celebrate World Breastfeeding Week (August 1-7), we took a closer look at just what MyPlate has to offer for pregnant and breastfeeding moms...
Get Those Vitamins!
It’s extra important to get certain vitamins and minerals during pregnancy. These include...
- Folate - this one is especially important because it helps everyone prevent birth defects. It is found in green leafy vegetables, orange juice and fortified grains.
You should take whatever prenatal vitamins your doctor recommends, but know that they do not make up for a diet that is full of solid fats, added sugars, and little to no nutrients. Get your nutrients from foods too!
Drink More Water!
When you breastfeed, your need for water increases. Try...
- Drinking a glass of water every time you breastfeed.
- Adding fresh fruit slices or sprigs of herbs to your water. It’s better for your health if you drink water instead of sugary drinks.
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, it’s a good idea to get some light exercise in every week while you’re pregnant and breastfeeding.
- MyPlate recommends 2 and 1/2 hours of moderate physical activity per week for pregnant and breastfeeding moms.
- Avoid activities that have a significant risk of falling or injury. Be active, but do be careful too.
- Try walking briskly or going for a swim.
Avoid Foodborne Illness:
Everyone should take care to avoid food poisoning. But pregnant moms have a compromised immune system and they should take care to avoid
- Lunch meats, raw meats, hot dogs
- Unpasteurized dairy foods and soft cheese
- Fish with mercury
- Raw sprouts
For more great guidance and tips, check out our new MyPlate for Expectant Mothers resources, along with our MyPlate for Breastfeeding Moms materials...