MyPlate's birthday is coming right up, and we can't wait to celebrate! On June 2, 2011, the USDA released its new food icon and MyPlate officially replaced MyPyramid as the guide to healthful and balanced eating. This week, we'll be exploring some of our favorite aspects of MyPlate, along with fun new recipes that align with MyPlate's standards. Check back here every day this week for games, trivia, guidelines, and more!
To kick off our celebration, today we'll review key MyPlate information that you should know. These are some of MyPlate's most important consumer messages, and you can find details at www.choosemyplate.gov.
These messages come in three categories...
- Foods to Reduce
- Foods to Increase
- Balancing Calories
Can you match the messages below to the categories above?
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables.
- Replace sugary drinks with water.
- Compare the sodium content among various breads, soups, canned meals, and frozen meals, then choose the option with low numbers.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Choose fat-free or low-fat milk.
- Make at least half the grains you eat whole grains.
Here are the answers. How did you do?
- Foods to Reduce: 3, 4
- Foods to Increase: 2, 6, 7
- Balancing Calories: 1, 5
Looking for more MyPlate? Check out our Nutrition Education Store!