Here are 15 Ways to Say, "I Love My Heart!" with MyPlate...
This wonderful meal has 15 ingredients that your heart will love, and it can be made in just 30 minutes or less.
On the menu:
- Salmon with Red Velvet Relish
- Barley Date Walnut Pilaf
- Steamed Broccoli
- Apple Slaw
This 30-minute dinner would make a great Valentine’s Day meal, but you could try it on any day that you want to show your heart a little extra love.
2 3-ounce fillets of salmon
Red Velvet Relish:
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
1/4 avocado, diced
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
One dash of extra virgin olive oil
Juice from half a lemon
1 cup broccoli, steamed
1/2 apple, cut into strips
3 baby carrots, cut into strips
2 tablespoons of nonfat Greek yogurt
Drizzle of apple cider vinegar glaze (or apple cider vinegar, in a pinch)
Barley Date Walnut Pilaf:
1/2 cup quick cooking barley
1 cup water
2 tablespoons chopped dates
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
1. Place the salmon in a shallow dish with a bit of water at the bottom. Bake at 350 degrees until done (usually about 20 minutes).
2. Make the pilaf. Place the barley, water, chopped dates, and chopped walnuts in a rice cooker. Cook for 15 minutes.
3. Make the relish. Cut the tomatoes into quarters and mix them gently with the diced avocado, parsley, olive oil, and lemon juice.
4. Make the slaw. Mix the apple and carrot sticks with the Greek yogurt. Toss lightly.
5. Make MyPlate:
- Place the salmon on a plate and top it with the tomato relish.
- Arrange the broccoli, pilaf, and slaw in small groups around the salmon.
- Top the slaw with the apple cider glaze.
- Top the pilaf with chopped dates and nuts. Use a small ramekin to mold it onto the plate (see below).
You can feature this meal in our MyPlate for the Heart powerpoint show (heartmyplatemeal.ppt). The show even includes the magenta MyPlate graphic!