Parsley Chicken Breast with Red Potatoes and Salad
- 4 medium-sized red potatoes
- 1 onion
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- Dash paprika
- Dash garlic powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh-chopped parsley
- Large tossed salad
- Flavored vinegar
- Slice potatoes and onion and mix together with pepper and olive oil in a large glass dish; cover with plastic wrap.
- Place chicken breasts a few inches apart in a large glass baking dish. Top each with paprika, garlic, lemon and parsley.
- Bake covered for 3 minutes in the microwave and then finish for 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. When the chicken goes in the oven, place the potatoes in the microwave and cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Serve the chicken and the potatoes immediately with a tossed salad.
Serves 4: Each serving: 279 calories, 4.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 72 mg cholesterol, 78 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- 16 oz ground chicken breast
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (14-ounce) cans tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added pinto beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 limes, cut in wedges
- Place the chicken breast, onion, pepper, garlic, tomato paste, seasonings, tomatoes, beans and sugar in a crockpot on high heat.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir well and serve over brown rice.
- Top each portion with cilantro, green onions and a wedge of lime.
- Note: this chili is also delicious served over potatoes or in a burrito or plain by itself in a bowl. The cilantro, green onion and lime juice add a lot of flavor to this well-seasoned dish.
Serves 8. Each 1-cup serving: 191 calories, 3.5 g fat, <1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 48 mg cholesterol, 179 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.