Fiesta Kale Salad
- 4 cups baby kale leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- Dash of hot pepper sauce
- Dash of dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil: canola, olive, or avocado
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 sweet potato, microwaved and diced
- ¼ cup fresh chopped green onion
- Arrange baby kale on a large platter. Top it with the juice of one lemon, one lime, hot pepper sauce, and oregano.
- Add the other items in groups in a circle on the outside of the kale: black beans, tomatoes, corn, diced avocado, and sweet potato.
- Sprinkle everything with chopped green onion and serve.
- Serves 4. Each serving has 174 calories, 9g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 49mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 5g sugars, and 5g protein.
- This salad is the perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken or fish.
- This looks especially nice when garnished with a lemon wedge and fresh flat-leaf parsley.
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.