Here's a great way to use honey in moderation -- make it part of this delicious barbecue sauce!
Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground anise seeds
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Refrigerate until ready to use – up to one week. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.
- This recipe makes 4 servings. Each 1/3 cup contains 95 calories, 2 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 335 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g sugar, and 2 g protein.
- Each serving also has 11% DV vitamin A, 11% DV?vitamin C, 1% DV calcium, and 5% DV iron.
- Use this sauce like you would use regular barbecue sauce.
- It tastes great on grilled fish, poultry, and vegetables.
Like what you see? Here's a free PDF handout that you can use as you see fit! Enjoy!
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.