Skip the post-Thanksgiving blahs with some fantastic recipes for Thanksgiving leftovers...
This delicious meal is perfect for a light lunch or dinner. With cranberries, turkey, and rice, how could it be anything less than delicious?
- 2 cups diced roasted chicken or turkey, without skin
- 1.5 cups brown rice
- 3 cups chicken broth, no sodium
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Pinch cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Dash black pepper
- Pinch crushed rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Place all ingredients in rice cooker or covered pan and cook until finished, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Garnish your rice dish with cranberry relish (see the recipe below or use leftover cranberry sauce).
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 large apples, diced
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup apple juice, no sugar added
- Dash cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook on low heat until the apples are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
Free handout: holidayleftovers
There's always more in the store!
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.