It's Vegetarian Awareness Month! Start the festivities with this healthful dessert that features 9 grams of protein per serving! This sweet treat is a perfect vehicle for plant protein...
- 1 box (12 ounces) silken tofu
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups assorted berries: sliced strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.
- Nonfat whipped cream
- Purée tofu, sugar, and cocoa powder in a food processor. Divide between four tall glasses.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve or proceed to the next step right away.
- Mash the berries in a medium bowl and divide the mixture among four glasses, placing the berries on top of the chocolate mousse.
- Top each glass with 2 tablespoons of nonfat whipped cream and serve.
- Serves 4. Each 1-cup serving has 311 calories, 2 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 192 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 32 g sugar, and 9 g protein.
- Each serving also contains 8% DV vitamin A, 156% DV vitamin C, 6% DV calcium, and 5% DV iron.
- For a chocolate lover’s delight, skip the berries and garnish the whipped cream with chocolate shavings, as pictured here.
- Be sure to use silken tofu and not firm or extra-firm options. Only silken tofu will yield the proper texture in the finished dessert.
Want to share this recipe with your clients? Here's a PDF handout, perfect for an email blast or cooking demonstration!
And here are other fantastic cooking demonstration resources from the Nutrition Education Store. Remember, we're here to help you look your very best, right now!
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.