We all know that many traditional holiday side dishes come soaked in butter, coated in added sugars, or loaded with sodium, but that doesn't have to be the only option. Here are a few of my favorite ideas for healthful holiday sides...
Starchy Sides: Grains, Potatoes, Pasta, etc
- Steamed brown rice
- Baked potato topped with nonfat plain Greek yogurt and chopped green onion
- Baked winter squash, garnished with a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Corn kernels with light margarine
- Whole wheat orzo pasta tossed with olive oil, diced tomatoes, and Parmesan
Vegetables and Salads:
- Tossed salad
- Steamed broccoli with lemon
- Sautéed spinach
- Broiled asparagus
- Mixed vegetable stir-fry
- Boiled fresh beets
- Roasted carrots
- Microwaved green beans with red onions
- A bowl of berries
- Fresh orange wedges
- A plate of seasonal fruits
- Microwave "baked" apple wedges, topped with apple pie spice
For more great ideas, don't miss the members-only post Healthy Holiday Entrées!
And here's a free printable handout with a recipe for a tasty pear salad!
Looking for more healthful holiday cooking resources? Here are a few of the most popular materials I've made...
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.