Looking for great kitchen gifts this year? What about kitchen equipment that makes home cooking easier for everyone? Consider these options for everyone on your list. Not sure where to start? Amazon.com has a wide selection and hundreds of reviews to help you find just the right item. Here are some of our favorite kitchen gifts...
Bread Machine: Zojirushi makes a great one-pound bread machine that we like to use for whole grain bread and no-sodium whole grain pizza (or calzone!) dough. Now we have a great whole grain crust that is not messy! Best of all, you can time the dough or bread to be ready for dinner.
Look at our whole grain apple pie bread:
(To make it, all you need is a scant cup of water, 2 cups of white whole wheat flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of apple pie spice, 1 tablespoon of milk powder, 2 teaspoons of olive oil, 1 tsp of dry yeast, and 1/2 cup of diced dried apple. You can make the whole thing in a bread machine).
Rice Cooker: This makes whole grain cooking easy and worry-free. No more checking the pot every few minutes! Rice cookers are great for brown rice, wild rice, barley, polenta, risotto, and more.
Air Popper: Kids can make popcorn that is more fun and more healthful than the microwave varieties. Popcorn is the ultimate whole grain snack when it is not drenched in butter, coconut oil, or salt.
Yogurt Maker: This is a great way to encourage kids to eat yogurt and fruit. It's fun to try new foods that you make yourself, and that is a snap with a new yogurt maker.
Panini Maker: Now you can grill veggies and make great sandwiches with this fun new kitchen tool.
CrockPot: This is an essential kitchen item for cooking beans, healthful stews, whole chickens, and soups. It's a great resource for people with busy schedules, since you don't have to spend hours slaving over a dish -- just add the ingredients to the CrockPot and walk away. Consider upgrading your old slow-cooker or adding your first to your kitchen this year.
Quesadilla Maker: This is our favorite choice. Thanks to this new device, we make low-fat vegetarian quesadillas at least once a week.
Holiday Cooking App for iPad: We are happy to present our new iPad App, Holiday Secrets! This is an app version of our popular book of the same name. It has our best healthful holiday recipes, and the secret is that they are so tasty that no one will realize they're nutritious too! The app is also chock-full of chef secrets and cooking tips. The best part is that you can email all the recipes you want to yourself, your friends, your family, and your clients. Did you know that you can gift this item through iTunes?
Here are some screen shots from our new app:
Holiday Secrets contains the most creative, healthful holiday recipes. This is not just another chef's favorite recipe book -- it is meant to teach you how to make many holiday creations, from appetizers to gravy to desserts, no matter your kitchen skill. We promise that you will have the most wonderful time making dishes that taste great, look good, and are healthful... every time.
You will want to use this app over and over during the holiday season. Find favorite holiday recipes that won’t disappoint your guests' taste buds OR their health. These holiday recipes have been tested and reviewed for more than 15 years by Food and Health Communications. Our app features...
Tons of Recipes:
- Try healthful holiday appetizers for parties or events.
- We provide guidance for several whole meals, from roasting a turkey to making lowfat gravy. We also provide options for what to do with the leftovers.
- Healthful holiday desserts are often show-stoppers. We have tricks for making pie that has half the calories, along with new spins on bread pudding and cookies.
- Our edible gift guide will help you offer delicious holiday treats that are budget-friendly.
- The recipes can be used all year, not just at the holidays.
Our app is full of beautiful color photos, both throughout the app and for each individual dish. We offer tons of fun presentation ideas to boot. Finishing tips, plating tips, and ingredient tips are all shared throughout the app.
Ease of Use:
Our app features...
- Online video that you can stream. Get your tips when you want them without wasting your computer's memory reserves.
- Tagging options - When you find your favorite recipes, you can save them and refer back to them quickly. They're even easy to edit!
- Email - Email a recipe to your friends, yourself, your family, and your clients.
- Photo gallery - Look through the photos and pick a dish to make.
- Recipe directory - Our recipe directory is easy to navigate and intuitively formatted.
- Help and support - we offer tons of support for app use and kitchen questions.
These recipes include:
- Complete nutrition analysis
- Innovative designs and presentations
- Special masterpiece desserts that will stun any audience
- Recipes that have been tested and developed for over 15 years by an award-winning chef
- Easy to follow step-by-step directions
Get the app at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/holiday-secrets/id476240388?mt=8.
Holiday Secrets is also available in book format in our store!
Judy’s passion for cooking began with helping her grandmother make raisin oatmeal for breakfast. From there she earned her first food service job at 15, was accepted to the world famous Culinary Institute of America at 18 (where she graduated second in her class), and went on to the Fachschule Richemont in Switzerland where she focused on pastry arts and baking. But after learning that the quality of a croissant directly varies with how much butter it has, Judy sought to challenge herself by coming up with recipes that were as healthy as they were tasty.
Judy received The Culinary Institute of America’s Pro Chef II certification, the American Culinary Federation Bronze Medal, Gold Medal, and ACF Chef of the Year. Her enthusiasm for eating nutritiously and deliciously leads her to constantly innovate and use the latest in nutritional science to guide her creativity, from putting new twists on fajitas to adapting Italian brownies to include ingredients like toasted nuts and cooked honey. Judy’s publishing company, Food and Health Communications, is dedicated to her vision that everyone can make food that tastes as good as it is for you.