Become a premium member today and get access to hundreds of articles and handouts plus our premium tools!
Green beans are always a great treat, whether they are fresh or frozen. Check out the great facts about green beans by Lisa Andrews, MEd, RDN. Use them in your social messages now!
- The green bean plant belongs to the legume family.
- There are over 130 varieties of green beans.
- Green beans are part of the vegetable group on MyPlate.
- The most popular types of green beans include runner, string type and stringless type.
- China produces the majority of green beans. It exports more than 15 million tons per year.
- Green beans contain fiber and vitamin C and are low in calories.
- The green pod is the edible part of the plant and may be green, purple, yellow or red.
- Green beans can be eaten solo as a side dish or added to stir fries, soups or casseroles.
UP NEXT IN Food and Health
Today’s Food Trends Same as 1870
UP NEXT IN Cooking