Become a premium member today and get access to hundreds of articles and handouts plus our premium tools!
Grapefruit is a member of the citrus family and is about 92% water. It is grown in warmer climates such as Arizona, California, Florida, Texas, South America, South Africa, Israel and India. The French call them pamplemousse.
- An entire grapefruit has less than 100 calories, making it a great fruit to eat if you’re trying to lose weight, especially since that often amounts to a whole cup of fruit or more and almost 4 grams of fiber per serving.
- Grapefruit are an excellent source of vitamin C, fiber, and potassium.
- Grapefruit contains and enzyme that may interact with some medications including statin drugs to treat high cholesterol, Procardia and Adalat CC for high blood pressure and organ-transplant rejection drugs such as cyclosporine.
- It is easy to serve grapefruit so it is accepted by your family and loved ones. You can warm it up in the microwave for 10 seconds before slicing. Sweeten it with sliced apples or oranges. And include it in salads or as a side dish. Cut it in quarters for a quick way to serve as a breakfast or snack.
- For a real treat use a grapefruit to flavor a pitcher of water to have a nice flavor twist from the ordinary lemon and to replace sugary drinks.
UP NEXT IN Food and Health