Limes are one of our favorite "flavoring fruits" for salsa, fish, salad, and fruit desserts. Talk about versatility! I have even roasted them in the oven with chicken or fish to be able to squeeze more of the warm juice over them and enjoy its roasted, mellow flavor. Here are great lime tips you can use in social messaging this week for your clients, employees, and students.
- Limes are a member of the citrus family along with lemons, oranges and grapefruit.
- Sailors were known as “limies” when it was discovered that vitamin C in limes helped cure them of scurvy.
- The zest (skin) of limes adds taste and texture to food. Limes should be rinsed well to reduce pesticides and wax on the surface.
- Limes are acidic, making them a great marinade or salad dressing.
- Limes impart a tart flavor to salads, dips, vegetables and meat dishes.
- Limes are often used in guacamole and margaritas for Cinco de Mayo.
By Lisa Andrews, MED, RD, LD