- 3 cups pasta sauce
- 1 bunch of fresh Lacinato kale, about 9 leaves (or you can use chard or any large green leaf)
- 2 roasted chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 6 thin slices of gouda or other cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese (for garnish)
Serves 3. Each single serving (3 rolls) contains 322 calories, 8 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 78 mg cholesterol, 278 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 19 g sugars, and 33 g protein.
Pour the pasta sauce into a baking pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Rinse kale leaves, then microwave for 30 seconds to one minute until they are pliable.
Roll 1 slice of roasted chicken, 1 apple slice, and 1 thin cheese slice up in a kale leaf with the top of the leaf on the outside. Place each roll seam side down into the sauce.
Bake the kale leaves in the sauce, covered, at 400 degrees, for 25 minutes. Serve on a plate. Spoon extra sauce on top & add grated Parmesan.
You can use almost any kind of leaf for the roll up.
To make them into vegetarian roll-ups use veggie burger slices on the inside.
Serve with steamed rice or potatoes.
PDF Handout: Kale Roll-Up Recipe Handout