Halloween is right around the corner! Want to get your clients excited about the holiday in a healthful way? Try one of these spooky Halloween recipes!
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- 1 small apple, finely diced
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- 2/3 cup instant oatmeal, uncooked
- Combine all ingredients except oatmeal in a 1 and 1/2 quart microwave-safe dish.
- Heat on full power for 4-5 minutes in the microwave until boiling.
- Stir in oatmeal and heat at full power for 1 minute longer.
- Divide among 2-3 bowls and serve hot.
By Cheryl Sullivan, MA, RD
Witch's Slaw Recipe
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage plus one leaf for hats
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 red apple, cored and shredded; shred this last and mix quickly with the vinegar so it does not turn brown (we left the peel on for nutrients and color)
- 1 cup light vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Chill until ready to serve. For fun with older kids, you can garnish each serving with a witch’s hat or plastic spider.
How to Make A Witch's Hat:
- Microwave a piece of cabbage for 20-30 seconds so it becomes pliable.
- Cut it into strips.
- Roll each strip into the shape of a hat (see photos for an illustrated step-by-step).
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.