Halloween is right around the corner! Want to get your clients excited about the holiday in a healthful way? Try one of these spooky Halloween recipes!
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- 1 small apple, finely diced
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- 2/3 cup instant oatmeal, uncooked
- Combine all ingredients except oatmeal in a 1 and 1/2 quart microwave-safe dish.
- Heat on full power for 4-5 minutes in the microwave until boiling.
- Stir in oatmeal and heat at full power for 1 minute longer.
- Divide among 2-3 bowls and serve hot.
By Cheryl Sullivan, MA, RD
Witch's Slaw Recipe
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage plus one leaf for hats
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 red apple, cored and shredded; shred this last and mix quickly with the vinegar so it does not turn brown (we left the peel on for nutrients and color)
- 1 cup light vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Chill until ready to serve. For fun with older kids, you can garnish each serving with a witch’s hat or plastic spider.
How to Make A Witch's Hat:
- Microwave a piece of cabbage for 20-30 seconds so it becomes pliable.
- Cut it into strips.
- Roll each strip into the shape of a hat (see photos for an illustrated step-by-step).
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.