Last week we discussed how to get comfortable with presenting cooking demos. It’s important to be organized and engaging, but also to create recipes that are realistic and delicious.
The good news is that food demos don’t need to be fancy. Their main purpose is to teach people simpler ways to feed themselves and their families. If you’re out of ‘thyme’ to get to the store or want to use up what’s in your fridge, here’s a quick idea to go from fridge to frying pan.
Veggie frittata muffins
A frittata is a crustless quiche that’s delicious and versatile. It’s an eggcellent vehicle for a variety of veggies and provides protein, B vitamins, iron, and zinc. Since they’re fairly perishable, it’s good to use eggs within a few weeks of purchasing. A veggie frittata can include 1 or more vegetables such as broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, onions, spinach or zucchini. The sky's the limit!
Most Americans don’t meet the recommended intake of 2 or more cups of vegetables per day. Veggies add color, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals to your diet. They’re easy to add to any dish and pair well with eggs.
These mini frittatas are made in muffin tins to keep serving size simple. No cutting required! These can be eaten at any meal or snack. Leftovers can be frozen to be enjoyed at a later time.
Measuring cups and spoons
1 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
2 cups worth of chopped veggies: peppers, onions, zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli, etc.
Pinch of salt and pepper
¼ cup milk
½ cup shredded cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
2. In a non-stick skillet, heat the oil to medium heat and cook the chopped veggies for about 5 minutes. Season the veggies with salt and pepper.
3. Whisk the eggs and milk together then mix in the cooked veggies and shredded cheese.
4. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
5. Pour the egg mixture into each muffin cup, filling them almost to the top.
6. Bake the muffins for 8 minutes or until eggs are set. Serve hot.
7. Cool muffins before storing in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze in an airtight container for up to 3
Makes 12 mini frittatas.