Lighten Pumpkin Pie
- Substitute egg whites instead of whole eggs and evaporated skim milk instead of regular milk. Use less sugar.
- Cut each pie into 10 slices
- Save 80 calories and 5.5 g fat per slice!
Lower the Fat in Gravy
- Use a fat separator cup for broth or freeze turkey juice in shallow pan and remove fat
- Save about 308 calories and 24 g of fat per cup!
Make A Better Stuffing:
- Prepare your favorite stuffing recipe or boxed stuffing mix according to directions except omit butter and or margarine.
- Add 3 cups of sauteed apples, onions, celery
- Add 3 cups of cooked brown rice and a cup of broth
- For every half cup of stuffing you make, you save 86 calories, 4 g fat and 468 mg of sodium compared to most recipes.
Mash Potatoes for Your Heart
- Make your favorite mashed potato recipe healthier for your heart.
- Use trans-free margarine instead of butter; cut amount in half.
- Use skim milk.
- Season with garlic powder and black pepper. Add chopped fresh herbs for more flavor.
- Save 56 calories and 7.5 g of fat compared to regular recipes.
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.