10 Ways to Test Kitchen Efficiency:
Place a check mark next to each statement that is true in your kitchen...
- _____ Do you clean your refrigerator on a weekly basis? It’s best to do before a grocery run so you can plan to use what you have while making your list and so that you have plenty of room to store your groceries.
- _____ Are your cutting boards easily accessible and in good condition?
- _____ Do you have a variety of sharp knives that are easy to find and use?
- _____ How does your supply of cooking utensils look? Do you have adequate spoons, ladles, spatulas, etc?
- _____ Do you have enough pots and pans? Can you find the lids?
- _____ Are your microwave-safe containers organized and easy to find?
- _____ Do you have enough storage containers and bags? (These will make storing “planned overs” and packing healthful lunches a breeze)!
- _____ Do you have the equipment you need in order to make your job easier? This could be...
* Toaster oven
* Food processor and/or blender
* Rice cooker
* Stand mixer or hand mixer
- _____ Is your freezer clean with relatively new foods? Or is it packed and messy? An organized freezer makes cooking much easier.
- _____ Do you have enough room to work on your counters?
Give yourself a point for every item checked...
- 1-3 points: You’ve got some work to do.
- 4-6 points: Good start! Try our tips.
- 7-10 points: You have an efficient kitchen!
For Fast Meals, Keep These on Hand:
- Pasta and pasta sauce
- Oil and vinegar
- Spices, herbs, seasonings
- Whole grain bread and cereals
- Canned beans and soups
- Skim milk
- Fat-free yogurt and sour cream
- Orange juice
- Fruit and vegetables
- Parmesan cheese
- Trans fat-free margarine
- Frozen veggie assortments
- Veggie burgers
- Nuts and seeds
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.