Berkeley Burrito Bowl
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: About 2 cups
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, hot
- 2 cups pico de gallo (dice 2 small tomatoes and combine them with chopped red onion, chopped cilantro, and a few diced peppers)
- 1 fresh avocado, sliced
- 1 cup cooked or canned black beans, hot
- 2 baked sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Divide each ingredient between 4 large and shallow individual serving bowls.
- Arrange the ingredients in a circular fashion, as shown in the photo above.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 4. Each serving has 331 calories, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 9 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 11 g dietary fiber, 7 g sugar, and 12 g protein.
- Each serving also has 255% DV vitamin A, 41% DV vitamin C, 16% DV calcium, and 11% DV iron.
- This bowl is a great vegetarian meal. Bulk it up with bread or tortillas, or take it in a different direction by adding grilled chicken or fish.
- Mix and match your favorite ingredients into a burrito bowl. Include rice, quinoa, or couscous, beans or another lean protein, salsa, slaw, fresh veggies, and baked potatoes or sweet potatoes.
- This is a great way to use up leftovers or to create a family-style platter where everyone can make their own bowl.
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.