It’s Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, and what better way to celebrate than with a bright new strawberry dessert?
Whipped cream, mango puree, and strawberries fresh from the market all come together to make this show-stopping dessert, which is topped with toasted almonds and freshly-chopped mint. Here’s how to make it…
- 1/4 cup mango puree
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- 2 teaspoons freshly-chopped mint
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped and toasted almonds
- Use a pastry brush to sweep a circle of mango puree around the center of the plate.
- Place the strawberries on one side of the circle, then top them with whipped cream, mint, and almonds. Serve immediately.
- Serves 1. Each serving contains 88 calories, 6 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 21 mg cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 5 g sugar, and 1 g protein.
- Each serving has 5% DV vitamin A, 81% DV vitamin C, 2% DV calcium, and 0% DV iron.
- Use a siphon to make whipped cream with less fat and more flavor. Learn more about siphons in the post Skinny Skinny Whipped Cream.
- You can also whip the cream with a dash of vanilla extract and a pinch of sugar. Pour your cream into a bowl, add the vanilla and sugar, then blend with a whisk, hand mixer, or stand mixer until light and frothy. In a pinch, canned whipped cream also works well.
- This is a great way to use fresh berries during the summer.
- To make the puree, combine fresh or frozen fruit with a bit of water in a blender and puree until smooth. In this recipe, we actually use mango baby food, which is a surprisingly wonderful puree.
- Sensational Strawberry Dessert Recipe
- Strawberry Dessert How-To Video
- Whipped Cream Handout (this one is exclusive for Food and Health members only)
Want to share this recipe with your clients? Here’s a brand-new PDF handout, just for you. Enjoy!
Remember, my mission is to help you look your very best right now. Let me know what would make your life easier and be sure to check out these amazing nutrition education materials...