There are lots of ways to stay active in the summertime while beating the heat. Don't let skyrocketing temperatures glue you to the couch!
Here are a few ideas that you can use to inspire your audience to get moving, even when it's toasty outside...
- Get up early and do a sunrise walk -- the temperatures won't be too high yet and you'll be amazed at the difference in your neighborhood at sunrise.
- Swim laps in a pool during your lunch break.
- Take a water aerobics class. What better way to keep cool than in a pool that's chilled to the right temperature for exercise? Plus, a group will help keep you inspired and accountable.
- Play catch in the sprinklers with the kids. You're never too old to play in the yard!
- Take a walk after dinner as the day is coming to a close.
- Purchase a gym pass. Air-conditioning, personal trainers, tons of equipment -- what's not to love? Plus, you could even find a fun bootcamp that's indoors.
- Speaking of air conditioning, when the temperatures really rise, consider playing indoor games like bowling, ping pong, or mini golf. All the activity, none of the heat exhaustion.
- Walk the mall a few times... and then go shopping.
- Take dance lessons.
- Get near the water -- it's always a bit cooler by a lake or on a beach!
Which approach will you try first?
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.