A cinnamon roll is about 500 calories. Our healthy breakfast plate on the right is just 250 calories and contains more food!
Most over-sized baked goods found in so many coffee shops and bakeries can mean starting the day with too many calories not to mention a high dose of fat and sugar. Most large pastries are well over 400 calories.
The healthy breakfast plate formula is 1 cup milk/nonfat yogurt, 1 serving whole grain and 1 cup fruit. Variations might include:
- oatmeal with skim milk, fruit
- yogurt with whole grain cereal, fruit
- smoothie (skim milk, fruit)
- whole grain toast
- whole grain cereal, skim milk, fruit
When choosing foods for lunch and dinner, think vegetables! Half of the plate should be non- starch vegetables like salad, steamed broccoli, spinach, summer squash, asparagus, cabbage, tomatoes, etc. The other half should be split between a starchy, high fiber food like potatoes, yams, or whole grains and a lean protein choice.
Good low-fat choices include:
- Rice with baked chicken or fish, veggies
- Pasta with vegetables and lean turkey
- Low-fat chili with rice, salad
- Stir fry veggies with rice, lean protein
- Potatoes, fish, steamed veggies
- Lentils, rice, salad with lowfat dressing
Stephanie Ronco has been editing in a professional capacity for the past 10 years. In addition to her work as an editor, Ronco has also served as a ghostwriter and writing tutor. A voracious reader, Ronco loves watching language evolve and change. When she’s not delving into her latest project, Ronco can be found teaching acting classes, performing in community theater, or sailing with her husband.