Cabbage is one of the least expensive, most versatile vegetables around. With so many varieties to choose from, you’ll have multiple ways to enjoy this cancer-fighting hero. Since cabbage is often harvested in late summer/fall, it’s a great time of year to try a few new dishes. Here are 12 ways to love cabbage.
- Cabbage and apple slaw. Cabbage and apples pair nicely together given their savory, sweet characteristics. Using a head of purple or green cabbage, clean and shred the cabbage and set aside. Take 3 Gala, Honey Crisp or Pink Lady apples and clean, core and cut into 1” chunks. Place apples and cabbage in a bowl. Whisk together 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, 2 Tbsp. honey, 2 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1 tsp. ground black pepper. Dress the cabbage and apples with the dressing and cool before serving.
- Cabbage wraps. Why should lettuce get all the action? Clean and dry cabbage leaves and set aside. Sautee 1 lb. ground turkey (93/7) and drain fat. Add 2 tsp. each low sodium soy sauce, ginger paste and 1 clove minced garlic. Place 3 Tbsp. seasoned turkey mixture in cabbage leaf, roll up and serve warm.
- Polish haluski. Cabbage, onions and noodles join to make a popular Polish dish called Haluski. Clean and chop 1 head of cabbage. Slice 1 small white or onion into rings. Sautee cabbage and onions in 1 Tbsp. corn oil and 1 Tbsp. butter. Add to cooked egg noodles.
- Cabbage soup. Once popular as a weight loss diet, cabbage soup is simple, filling and delicious on its own. You’ll need 3 Tbsp. olive oil, t tsp. dried thyme, ½ tsp. salt, 1 minced onion, 2 cloves garlic- minced. 4 chopped celery stalks, 4 chopped carrots, ½ head of cabbage- cut into chunks, 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock, 1 (15 oz can) diced tomatoes. Sautee the spices and vegetables together for ~5-10 minutes until veggies are soft. Add chicken stock and tomatoes and simmer for ~30 minutes.
- Roasted cabbage “steaks” Slice red/purple cabbage into 1” “steaks”. Brush with olive oil and roast on 400 for 15-20 minutes until outside leaves are crispy and inside is soft.
- Stir fried cabbage. This simple side dish combines ½ head chopped green or red cabbage, 1 Tbsp. corn oil, 1 tsp. ginger paste, 1 tsp. Sriracha sauce, 1 clove garlic and 2 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce.
- Add shredded purple cabbage to green salads for a pop of color!
- Colcannon- use cabbage in this Iris dish instead of kale. Light/whipped butter and 2% milk can be used in place of full fat butter and cream to reduce fat in the recipe.
- Shred cabbage with carrots and make your own cole slaw..
- Brush green or red cabbage with olive oil and grill with peppers and onions to add to tacos or fajitas.
- Use chopped cabbage in place of kale or spinach in soup made with 2 cans drained/rinsed white beans, 2 cups mirepoix, 6 cups chicken broth, 1 clove minced garlic and 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning.
- Try braised Napa cabbage as your base for broiled salmon or pork tenderloin.
Lisa Andrews, MEd, RD, LD