Fall Tomato Basil Salad
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- 1 yellow tomato
- 1 plum tomato
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- Avocado or olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar glaze
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Thinly slice the yellow and plum tomatoes and place them in a single layer on a large white platter.
- Arrange the whole basil leaves on the tomato slices.
- Cut the cherry or grape tomatoes into quarters and intersperse them with the sliced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle everything lightly with the oil and balsamic vinegar glaze. Dust with a light amount of cracked black pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 6. Each serving has 25 calories, 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 12mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g sugars, and 1g protein.
- Each serving also has 10% vitamin A, 20% vitamin C, 1% calcium and 0% iron.
- This salad goes well with grilled fish or chicken or even a pasta dinner.
- It also makes a great standalone salad or appetizer.
- If you use it as an appetizer, consider serving it with toasted slices of whole grain French bread.
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.