Berries are a decadent treat of summer.
- They are also a benefit to your health:
- Their potassium helps keep your blood pressure low
- and they contain fiber for a healthier heart - for every cup you eat, you take in 2-3 grams of fiber.
- plus phytochemicals that may help lower the risk of cancer.
- they are an excellent diversion for a sweet tooth - consider that 1 cup of strawberries is just 50 calories while 2 cookies, the same weight serving, contain 160 calories and 8 grams of fat.
- costwise berries are about the price of ice cream
- PLUS berries help you get to 4.5 cups of fruits and veggies each day because when you have them in the house you want to eat them.
Here are some decadent treats you can make right now:
Berry Whipped Cream Cup
Whipped cream can be a diet ally if you use it to eat more fresh fruit instead of ice cream!! 2 Tablespoons of light whipped cream from a can contains just 15 calories. Imagine a ping pong ball when you are spraying the can. Use it to top berries for an elegant dessert that is made in minutes.
Slice fresh berries and top them with crunched up whole grain cereal - it will look like a fancy streusal topping.
When berries get a little too ripe, freeze them. Blend with skim milk and vanilla and you have a wonderful milk shake that is a cool treat for summer. PLUS you get one more serving of fruit and milk for the day!
Stephanie Ronco has been editing for Food and Health Communications since 2011. She graduated from Colorado College magna cum laude with distinction in Comparative Literature. She was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa in 2008.