Looking for a fast one-pot meal with high appeal? Try this Beet Red Chili!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 mild chili pepper like Anaheim or Poblano, seeded and diced
- 1 green, red, or yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 beet, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 pound ground lean turkey breast meat
- 1 pound cooked pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups tomato puree
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil, onion, and garlic and cook briefly until the garlic has a nutty aroma, about 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and seasonings, cover with a lid and cook until the vegetables are a little tender, about 3 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Add the turkey, crumbling it into the pan. Stir until it is almost cooked.
- Add the beans and tomatoes to the rest of the ingredients in the Dutch oven. Stir well, bringing to a boil; lower heat to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender and the meat is cooked through.
- Serve hot.
- This chili goes very well with baked potatoes or sweet potatoes. It's also fantastic with brown rice, salad, and/or steamed vegetables.
- The beets add a sweet flavor and bright color. Plus, they contain a lot of nutrients.
- Beets are an excellent source of folate and vitamin B6. They are also a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, and iron. To learn more about the benefits of beets, don't miss the member-exclusive post Fun Beet Fact Sheet, which features an informative nutrition education handout!
This meal is an example of something you would eat if you were following a healthy eating pattern! It's high in nutrients and fiber and uses protein, legumes, and vegetables. Speaking of healthy eating patterns, have you seen our 2015 Dietary Guidelines Materials?
And of course I wouldn't leave you without new printable nutrition education materials! Here's a PDF handout with today's recipe...