Last week we talked about promoting arugula as a delicious, spicy green that goes well either raw in a salad or cooked in a pasta dish. The natural flavor complement to arugula is a sweet beet. Check out these fantastic facts about beets by Lisa Andrews, MEd, RD, LD, and use them in your social messaging. Beets are in season now in many stores.
- Beets are not just the canned pickled vegetable your mom served you growing up. There’s lots to love about this earthy root vegetable.
- Beets are not just red. Golden beets are also available and equally nutritious.
- Beets are a good source of fiber, which helps to keep you feeling fuller, longer.
- Beets are also an excellent source of folate, a B vitamin linked with reduction of homocysteine.
- Beets contain nitrous oxide, which turns to nitric acid in the body. Nitric acid relaxes blood vessels, which aids in blood pressure reduction and muscle recovery.
- Beets can be roasted or grilled and served as a side dish or chopped fresh and added to salads.