Baked Whole Wheat Ziti
Serves: 12 | Serving Size: 1 cup
- 1 pound whole wheat ziti, uncooked
- 1 ounce olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 pounds extra-lean ground turkey breast
- 9 cups low-sodium pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook ziti for 6 minutes in boiling water. Drain it in a colander and rinse it gently.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the ground turkey and cook until it’s no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and bring it to a boil.
- Add the cooked noodles to the skillet, stirring to coat the noodles with the sauce mixture.
- Place the ziti mixture in a large baking pan, topping it with the cheese and oregano.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and casserole is heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Serves 12. Each serving contains 420 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 37 mg cholesterol, 644 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 9 g sugar, and 29 g protein.
- Each serving has 9% DV vitamin A, 10% DV vitamin C, 6% DV calcium, and 22% DV iron.
- Using a thicker sauce helps make whole grain pasta a lot more enjoyable.
- No ziti? Use any short whole grain pasta shape.
And here is a free PDF handout with the recipe!
Food and Health Communications, Inc. is here to help you look your very best, right now!