Artichokes are a great vegetable for consumers who want to watch their weight. They are low in calories and eating them is time consuming. Plus they make a meal or table fun and interactive for all guests.
Here are messages you can use for social media for your clients, patients, students, and employees. California artichokes are available year round but the peak season starts in March and runs through May.
Did you know that artichokes are technically a flower. They’re grown primarily in Spain, France and Italy.
Here are some fun facts about artichokes along with 3 ways to use them:
- California grows 100% of the US artichoke crop.
- Artichokes contain inulin, a fiber that aids in blood sugar control.
- One medium artichoke provides 60 calories and 7 grams of fiber.
- Artichokes are a good source of folate and vitamin K.
- Use boiled artichokes as an appetizer or with a meal. Serve them with garlic mayonnaise or fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
By Lisa C. Andrews, MEd, RD, LD